Monday, November 19, 2012

A Mother's Wisdom

I recently found myself at one of those crossroads we often stubble upon in life. For once, I actually knew which way to go without a second thought. Little did I know of the many challenges this road would bring. You see, I belong to a Christian church that recently made adjustments to the missionary ages, which now allows me to serve an 18 month mission sooner rather than later. While I've never been more excited, I'm a month and a half into my preparation, and I've already been bombarded with more challenges than I could have possibly imagined.

One of the seemingly smaller difficulties that has presented itself, has done perhaps too good of a job reminding me of a lesson I learned as a child. Growing up, my mother was very fond of hanging meaningful quotes ALL over the house; from the refirgerator to the front door words of wisdom hung as gentle reminders of the lessons she would teach. One of the quotes (the one from the front door) has been resounding in my mind as I have been preparing. "Don't give up what you want most, for what you want at the moment."

As you may remember from my last blog post, I am a music fanatic, and one of the instruments I have picked up through the years is guitar. I own a beautiful Fender Squier I have lovingly dubbed "Autumn." She is my baby. This guitar has extra special meaning to me, for she was a high school graduation/birthday gift from my mother.

Okay, so what does a guitar have to do with a religious mission, and a mother who put quotes up all over her home? I promise it all ties together.

For my Mother, who loves pink and sunrises.
Missions are not inexpensive things. And although my family is willing to support me, I feel a deep need to be as financially independent as I can. My typical job is a nice place to start, and having a photography business on the side certainly doesn't hurt, but it only scratches the surface. Since it has come to my attention that while serving a mission, I will have little need for the majority of my belongings, I have begun sifting through them creating piles, and filling boxes. I have things to sell, things to give away, and things to store until my return home. My guitar is the one item in my possession that I have not been able to categorize. Should I sell it? Or should I let her sit for 18 months unused, and useless sitting in some dusty corner?

"Don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment." How much do I want to keep this specific guitar? Quite a bit. But how much do I want to go on a mission, serve people, and lose myself in the Lord? Even more. Sure this guitar means a lot to me, it reminds me of my mother. But my mother had a saying, "People are more important that things." Though this guitar is important to me, so are the people I will soon be serving. And I don't need a guitar to remind me of my mothers love, because she gave me something so much greater and long lasting - her wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment